Ouch! How Do I Know if My Bee or Wasp Sting is a Medical Emergency?


Ouch! How Do I Know if My Bee or Wasp Sting is a Medical Emergency?

Getting stung by an insect is never an enjoyable experience for anyone. These incidents are especially common during the summer months. If you have been stung by a bee or a wasp recently, depending on the severity of your stings, you may find yourself wondering if you can treat it yourself or if it requires a trip to the hospital. The severity of your sting may vary depending on individual factors, such as age, pre-existing medical conditions, if you are allergic to bees and venom, or if you are currently pregnant. About 5% of Americans are allergic to bee stings. While we are bee and wasp removal specialists and not medical experts, we can definitely identify when a bee sting is worth seeking proper treatment from a doctor. 

How do I know if I am allergic to bee or wasp stings (anaphylaxis)?

Normally, if you get stung, you will experience redness and swelling on your skin. It may last for several days. Typically the pain will fade away on its own, but if you are in need of immediate relief, you can use an ice pack or take over-the-counter aspirin. However, if you begin to experience more serious symptoms such as difficulty breathing, dizziness, or nausea, these are tell-tale signs that you most likely have an allergy, and you should consult a doctor immediately. If you have been stung multiple times, this can also call for emergency medical care. If you are already aware that you have an allergy and you are in an area where you know insects with venoms are present, be sure to carry epinephrine on your journey. These won’t serve as bee removal tools like The Bee Man, but it will protect you from any potential harm from any insects bugging you.

Are there any real differences between bee and wasp stings?

Bees have a more compounded venom than wasps, so you’re more likely to have a reaction from a bee sting. However, there is not a huge difference between getting stung by either of the two insects: “There isn’t much distinction between bee and wasp stings,” says Dr. Bryan Kuhn, a pharmacist, “although there is one telltale sign. Bees will leave a barbed stinger behind. Wasps, on the other hand, have a smooth stinger they can use more than once.” 

Can a bee or wasp sting harm my pet?

If you have a traditional household pet such as a cat or a dog and you are living in an area with a pest problem, the safety of your companion also serves as a major issue, as they can be equally impacted by a sting as much as you. Dogs and cats alike are typically stung on their face or on their paws. Because cats do not typically express as much as emotions as dogs do, it can be difficult to detect if your feline is in pain. If you suspect your pet has been stung and they are experiencing symptoms such as vomiting, collapsing, or excessive swelling, you should take them to your veterinarian right away.

Get to Know The Bee Man Today

We at The  Bee Man have served as experts and leaders in the bee and wasp removal industry for the last 45 years. We have made a buzz of our own throughout Orange County and beyond because of our high-quality and personal service. If you want to learn more about why the The Bee Man is the best choice for you, call us today (949) 455-0123. Our emergency bee removal service in Orange County is even available for you at any time, 24/7.